Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday Cooking


Today was a big kitchen day. I spent at least 3-4 hours in the kitchen completing various tasks.
Including:
*Shucking at least 17 ears of corn
*Slicing squash and zucchini
*Freezing squash and zucchini
*Making banana oat bran muffins for grandpa
*Making Taco Soup for yours truly

Grandpa gave me some very ripe bananas last week because Zach likes banana bread. That was very nice of him. I asked my mom if she thought he would like some banana bread, too. She reminded me that grandpa doesn't really eat much these days. So I decided a muffin..it's small and easy and maybe he'll like them? I found a recipe for Banana Oat Bran Muffins in my Fannie Farmer cookbook (my favorite cookbook!) They are healthy, easy to make and yummy!Here's how you make them:
What you'll need:
-2 cups oat bran
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 cup milk (lowfat milk works)
-2 egg whites
-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
-1/2 cup mashed bananas

What you do:
*Preheat oven to 425
*Grease muffin tin
*Stir together oat bran, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
*In a separate bowl: combine remaining ingredients
*Pour banana mixture into bran mixture and stir
*Pour into muffin pan--filling each cup about 2/3 full
*Bake 15-17 minutes
You can substitute the banana for a number of things including:
-1/2 cup applesauce
-1 cup grated apple
-1/2 cup dried apricots
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

I went on to then make taco soup.
More on that to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment